Friday, November 8, 2013

'Shine Where You Are'~~~~~~~






I've been doing a bit of creating today.....puttering around and using up some of my supplies. I SO love making shadow boxes..the sky is the limit with the creativity and my mind loves to pick and choose the elements that I want to use.

This one is titled 'Shine Where You Are' based on the low brow doll head and a piece of vintage hymnal music that spoke to me.
I can't think of a better mantra lately to 'shine where you are' instead of wishing you were somewhere else, you know?
Of course that can apply symbolically to many different areas of our lives, but for me lately it's been trying not to compare my business with other people's businesses....please tell me that you also fall into that trap at times....:(.
Really and truly folks, it's never good to go there....don't get me wrong, I love to check out the competition and see what they're up to, but focusing on my own thing is where I know I'll see some real returns, not focusing on what other's are doing.

So I started brainstorming in the shower today and voila.....I came up with my shadow box.....and while I was happily creating I wasn't thinking about 'those other shops'.
So far it's been a happy day!
Now it's your turn, what have you made lately?

5 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!
it is an easy slide to depression if you try to compare or keep up with others, I know this all to well. That is why my favorite saying sits painted on a mirror in front of my desk that reads "be yourself, everyone else is taken" Oscar Wilde.
It is important to remember to create from the heart and not jealousy or greed.
So glad you found some time to shine!
I made some stuffed whales today for friends as xmas gifts.
Amy

Gail said...

Thanks Amy, for the encouragement! You always seem to look toward the light....:).

Kathy said...

Great shadowbox, Gail!! It is so funny that you would say this because YOUR shop is one of the ones I have to avoid comparing myself to. You find the best stuff and clearly do an amazing job marketing. You should be very proud!!

Blessed Serendipity said...

This is BEAUTIFUL. I love this so much Gail. We all shine in different ways and that is what makes us beautifully unique and special. Keep shining. :)

XO Danielle

Recycled Rita said...

I think you are referring to your etsy shoppe and it is wonderful! It is obvious you have picked wonderful pieces to sell and they are quality and vintage.... Sometimes people don't appreciate that and just want something that "looks pretty".
They also don't appreciate that vintage is a piece of history and cannot be recreated the same so it will cost a little more....
I love your little shadowbox...but you probably already knew I would! Big hugs! karen.....