Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm dreaming of a new............~kitchen~

While I've been pretty much flat on my back for the last 3 days with some unknown  "ickiness" (no, please, don't feel sorry for me, we all have to take our turn at being sick, right?) I've been dreaming of my new kitchen, visualizing it all. Let's see how good you are...can you spot the "distractions" in the above photo, you know the ones that hopefully will draw your eye to something interesting rather than something....well....ugly? Let me help you out...
#1 big white frame with "found" relatives (to distract from vent hood~hmm, maybe it just calls more attention to it?)
#2 vintage silver tray (to distract from the fact that walls aren't even painted)
#3 re-purposed tool caddy with wallpaper for holding utensils (to distract from the fact that my range is an ugly dinosaur)
#4 cute black dishdrainer with fun plates in it (to distract from my hideous stainless sink and really ugly faucet)
This is fun right, kinda like "Where's Waldo?"
And really, all of it is there to distract the eye from our super ugly oak cabinets, which I can't wait to paint a lovely cream color.
I know that most of this isn't horrid, I'm just tired of living with a kitchen I don't love. It functions well and thankfully has a great layout. My dream kitchen will have black walnut countertops, cream cabs with bin pulls and cute knobs, a cool new stainless range/oven, subway tile backspash, new lighting including undercabinet, and a new floor (yet to be determined).
As soon as I feel better I'm going to be testing paint colors on my cabs (and even a new stain or two). Can't wait.......in the meantime.....
Do you like my "new" family? I can guarantee this, my dh is going to HATE them! :)

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

I would have never noticed anything until you said something. I'm more drawn to your attention to detail and decorative pieces.

Like that doll head on the candlestick, that is so cute!!! I love your adopted family photo display, too. All of it is so pretty, Gail.

But I totally get wanting an updated kitchen. It's just a woman thing. LOL

Vintage Market Place said...

my goodness something is going around for all us bloggers alright. Ick, I know what your feeling.
I feel very bad for you. but at least you are keeping your mind occupied on something that you really want to change. The distractions are great start!!!
Hope you a back up and around soon.
Amy

kana said...

If your awesome laundry room is any indication, I know that your kitchen will be great soon. I love your plans for the kitchen and hope that we get to see it after the work. Hope you are feeling better soon.

melanie said...

I love your kitchen just the way it is...good coffee...yummy food...great company- isn't that what counts?

Gail said...

Thanks Mel,
Yes, those things are definitely important! Thank you! But I spend sooooo much time in this room I'd love just a little more "pretty", ya know? It's definitely time for it to be updated....:)

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Love your new family! I have lots of odd relatives always popping up here and there in the house! Thankfully, nobody notices or cares around here! I would love to redo my kitchen, but it's not really mine since we live in a rental. I would at least paint the walls but since the landlord won't let me paint the ugly cupboards too, why bother? I, like you, am dreaming of a pretty vintage style kitchen... I know someday we will both have one! :)
Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle