Friday, January 24, 2014

Totally and utterly smitten with these......

Does anyone know what these were/are meant to be used for? Are they just a collectible or do people take these to church with them? I should know, being Catholic, but I realized when my dh asked me, "What are they for?" that I really had no clue.


 I took a day just for me yesterday and went to visit my sister at the coast to do some much needed shopping. Can I just tell you that after all of the cold and fog we've had for the past couple of weeks it felt like springtime over there! It was 57 and sunny....bright sun and a wonderful breeze. I wanted to stay!
We hit a lot of the antique shops and a thrift and in one of them I found these and was so happy.



Is this not beautiful? It's in mint condition!

Love the combination of felt, ribbon, and the angel on this one.


Darling with the pink bow. And amazing that some of these are still on their original cards.

Happy, happy! I have plans to do special things with these!

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

Gail, these are scapulars. I love them but like you I believe Catholics wore them in church. I just don't know why.

I started collecting them and then I started creating my own version. They are beautiful and fascinating to me.

I love your collection, what a great find!!!

Vintage Market Place said...

Gail you make me laugh so hard. I wouldn't have a clue what or how they were used but I bet you will come up with something amazing for them.
Amy

Kathy said...

I have never seen them before and agree they are gorgeous. I see that Rhonda said they are "scapulars" so I have to go Google that now...

Blessed Serendipity said...

Gail these are beautiful. They are holy little works of art often referred to as a "sacramental". Something that reminds us of God's love. These items most likely would have been blessed and placed somewhere in the home where they would be noticed and appreciated. Beautiful find.

xo Danielle

pina69 said...

I have a huge collection! If u r interested you can find me on Instagram as sapori di pona or Pinterest as Cristina Becchio and my main emailadress cbecchio@bluewin.ch

calley12 said...

Those small envelopes were for church offerings. My Mother had one crocheted that pinned on whatever she was wearing she put her change in it for Church on Sunday.