Sunday, October 12, 2008

Velvet album love....

So I'm a big fan of the Victorian-era velvet photo albums, I think they are beautiful works of art. This one I found on ebay for a good price (shocking, I know!) so I bought it. The pages inside are just beautiful, I love the artwork that surrounds each photo opening...and how about this clasp? Gorgeous, no?
I just love the birds and flowers on the surround on the left page above, and the lighthouse on the right page.....just incredibly lovely.
And here is the front of the album, the velvet (which on most of these is very worn off) is so plush on this one, and the inscription inside the front cover says, "To Carrie
Christmas 1889, from Hugh.
Do any of you have pictures to share of your lovely velvet albums? I'd love to see them.....

3 comments:

melanie said...

love love love love love love love this album!! You are so lucky to have found it! I think that we could have a competition to see who can collect the coolest velvet antique items...and right now I believe you are winning!
happy hunting!
melanie

Alisa Noble said...

Oh! That is absolutely stunning! I've wanted one (or more!) for so long, but I can't find any around here that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Elizabeth Fedorko said...

I don't have any such albums, but that one of yours is a beauty!~~~XXOO, Beth