Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A funny thing happened on the way to the Fair.....

I know, I know, you're going what does this machine possible have to do with a Fair? Let me 'splain.....as you know I am awaiting my beloved featherweight machine from my aunt......nope, still not here...:(

So the other morning I was perusing Craigslist (don't you just love the word perusing?) Anyway, I saw this ad for a "Portable Singer sewing machine in Salem....not far from us at all.
I got so excited thinking it's a FW.....and for only $50. So I emailed the nice gentleman about the machine. I had to wait all day last Friday until he called me when he got home from work because I had also given him my phone #....I didn't want this baby to go to anyone else!

So since we wanted to go to the State Fair anyway (which coincidentally happened to be in Salem) we just did a quick jog over to this nice gentleman's home so i could take a peek.

Now at this point you're probably wondering why I felt the need to purchase yet another sewing machine (or you couldn't care less and you've already stopped reading!)
The thing is I just wanted a machine that I could leave up all the time without having to clean off a cabinet of all it's "stuff", open the cabinet in an awkward walkway, and then have to close it all up when I'm finished because it's in the way. It's probably hard to tell from these photos but this machine is only 13" long....it's a 3/4 machine and even though I thought I was purchasing a featherweight for $50 (hey, it could happen!) this is actually a model 99K and mine was made in Kilwobie, Scotland in 1953.
And quite frankly, I think this machine is perfect for me! It sews like a dream and I've already cleaned her up and oiled the entire machine and this baby was clean! It belonged to this man's mother who passed 1 1/2 years ago and it doesn't look like she used it much at all.

So now I can quit lusting after a FW, even though I know my Aunt will come through when she's good and ready to send it.....at least I have a machine that looks so similiar to a FW that it completely fooled me!!
In other news, my little started back to school today and my house has been so very quiet.....if you don't count my dogs snores!!
Have a great rest of your week!!

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

You are so funny! I am so happy you got one until your FW comes. There is nothing like waiting and waiting for something in the mail...drives me crazy.

Sew away, my friend, you have once again snag a great find!!

Kathy said...

Beautiful machine! I say fill up that silence with the hum of your new machine!

Andy's Attic said...

That machine is just a s cute as a button!! Glad it works so well for you.

Blessed Serendipity said...

What a beautiful little sewing machine. Have fun sewing up a storm with her.

xo,
Danielle