Saturday, March 29, 2014

Reality bites......aka the domino effect......

I just couldn't take it anymore. My studio has been in a death spiral for quite some time now. I know you all get it (at least most of you do, I'm hoping!) Except for the ultra-organized, ultra-disciplined out there our studios get a real work out and don't always get cleaned as they should (or at all for months on end!)

I realized that my studio had become a liability instead of being the asset that it should be. And I swear, if my dh says one more time, "Sometimes I wonder if you would have less stress if you didn't have your studio" I may take drastic measures! He's actually said this many times to me. I need to keep my anxieties to myself, obviously! I had WAY TOO MUCH stuff in there because I have that hoarder's illness which is not being able to say "no" or to have that essential 'edit' button. After all, editing is no fun! We all know that more is more, and whoever dies with the most toys wins..........right? Ummm, but in the meantime there is a fair amount of stress involved. Stress like not being able to find what you're looking for? Please tell me you've done that too! No matter how much I want to be that organized person who always knows where everything is, in the back of my mind I know how futile that is for me.

So I'm sharing my 'mess in progress', please don't judge me. It is what it is...............................

See that measuring tape in the foreground? It's my lifesaver. Most people panic when they can't find their cell phone (yeah, I do that too) but when I can't find my tape I go into full-mode panic!
It's an essential every day tool that I use.
So wish me luck with my studio update, won't you? And better yet, if you have any words of wisdom or can commiserate, I'm all ears!
And have no fear, I'll share my after photos as well. After all, I can't leave you with this dismal impression of me and my workspace.
I like to think I have a bit more on the ball than this!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

I was recently inspired to do a little decorating in other parts of the house out of desperation to get some stuff OUT of my art room. Trust me, you are not alone!!

Gail said...

Kathy, thank you for that! It's always good to know that you're not alone, right? It's time for me to make some hard decisions..........what stays and what goes.

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Come to my studio. It is a mess. A cycle of cleaning it up and then hitting an estate sale and bringing goodies home..or working on a project and hauling stuff out. Clean, messy, clean, messy!

Gail said...

Laurie.....sounds all too familiar! Guess there is just no way around it when you're the creative sort.
I just need to enjoy 'tidying up' a bit more!

Blessed Serendipity said...

Mess or not, your studio space is still an amazing place. You should see my space. It needs a good cleaning for sure but creating is way more fun.

xo Danielle

Gail said...

Oh Danielle, you are too sweet for saying that....I'll post my after pictures later this week. It's really shaping up nicely!

Tina said...

You are definitely not alone in this. Despite the 'mess' your studio looks wonderful and inspiring Gail

Gail said...

Tina, thank you so much....it helps to know I'm in such good company!

A Magical Whimsy said...

I think your studio mess looks glorious, Gail.

My studio has been in a mess for five years and I am just slowly organizing it, as life got in the way with caring for my MIL for two years IN MY STUDIO ROOM! Everything went into boxes at that time, but it has been fun sorting things out, and donating what has gone out of style.

I need to pull out some of the vintage drawer stands with the vintage rose wallpaper on them as I noticed you have a couple and they look so romantic!

I always love looking at other people's studios, and craft rooms.

It is always inspiring. Thank you for sharing your progress.
hugs,
Teresa in California
http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/